Part of: Transition Town Tooting
Created by Charles Whitehead
We're facilitating ten 'Signs of Welcome' workshops locally in diverse local venues that are themselves welcoming and interesting spaces to visit.
See a TTT blog report here: https://goo.gl/V5YAtf
This workshop is part of a free evening of drop-in events for Refugee Week at the Migration Museum - you can also see the excellent current exhibition if you come early.
"What would you like to say to welcome people who are new to the community?"
That's the question we'll ask you in the workshop.
The 'Signs' workshops combine thinking about what you'd like to say to welcome people who are new to the community with making a colourful sign of your message - in whatever language you like. When we can arrange it, young people from the CARAS youth club join in to gain volunteering experience co-facilitating a creative community session.
These are sessions that everyone seems to appreciate - expressing ourselves, meeting others, making it visual and being creative by 'thinking with our hands' is a very powerful mix.
* All welcome to join us for a free, facilitated and fun crafts workshop using recycled materials well provide everything you need
* Create your own messages of welcome to people new to the community
* Take the signs home, or leave them with us for exhibition during Refugee Week in June 2018
* Will be enjoyed by adults and children
* Workshop run by Transition Town Tooting and CARAS (the Tooting charity serving refugees and asylum-seekers)
This project is a strand of the 2018 Welcoming Signs partnership between TTT and CARAS and local venues and other supporters. The partnership purpose throughout the year will be to facilitate events which draw refugees & asylum-seekers closer together with the local community.