Project location: South West | Gloucestershire
Part of the Clusters: Greener with Greggs
Type: Informal community project
Beekeeping Carbon Reduction Education Parks & Open Spaces Religion Waste & Resources Wildlife & Conservation
Latest Activity: 2 months ago
Created: Wednesday November 22, 2017
Connecting people with nature (World Environment theme 2017)
Objective: to develop a small portion of the lawn
area behind the
1. To enhance a currently unused central space in the village making an attractive rest area by providing park style seats/benches/planters/table all made of Plaswood (recycled agricultural plastic). which is both heavy (more difficult to steal) and durable (not affected by weather so no maintenance is required. In future the space could be used for a monthly 'farmers market' and/or selling local produce, and/or a space for charity fund-raising events.
2. To plant a variety of butterfly/bee-friendly flowering
shrubs and plants (foxgloves,primroses, bluebells) on the sloping sides of the
lawn (which are currently difficult to mow). This would attract a variety of
insects - primarily butterflies and bees,- both of which are in serious decline
3. To plant a strip 1-1.5m wide with a traditional mix of native wild flowers. These would also be 'insect-friendly', attractive to look at and of significant educational value.
4. Erect an information board
5. To demonstrate the church's commitment to 'Care for Creation'( part of its EcoChurch Programme) in a practical way which benefits both wildlife and people.
South West | Gloucestershire